10 December 2008

30 Years of Blessings

The anticipation of today has not been a joy. It's o.k. if someone else turns 30. They're not a day older to me then they were 5 years ago. I took no pity on Matt when he was unhappy at turning 30 and couldn't imagine that it would be "that big a' deal" when my turn came. Then it came a little closer and a little closer. I declared that there would be no cake today. No presents and no fanfare, to boot. I wanted my kids to be extra good and wanted permission to lounge around the house and shirk my responsibilities.

But, something interesting happened to me this morning and I felt to share it with you.

As I knelt to pray this morning I began to give thanks for this day. As I continued my prayer my memory was flooded with blessings the last 30 years have brought. Today has unexpectedly turned from a day of loathing maturity and normal gratification to a day to review the many, many blessings I enjoy.

I'm grateful for life. That it has been preserved for 30 years. That 10,957 times I've laid my head to rest and been kept safe and warm. That 10,958 times I've lifted my head from my pillow and experience something during that day. I am grateful for good days. I thank my God that I've had so many. I'm thankful for terrible days. I give thanks that I survived them and inevitably grew from them. I'm thankful that through the very hard times I've seen just what I'm made of. I'm grateful that during those hard times, and the good times too, I've been surrounded by so many good and gracious people. I am so very glad for friends who are righteous and friends who love me more then I deserve. I'm so grateful for people who have helped me yet do not know me. I am so overwhelmingly grateful for family. I thank God for family that went before me and smoothed some bumpy roads so that my way would be easier and I could go further. I love and give thanks for parents who gave everything for me, who sacrificed and loved me regardless of my faults and sometimes slow growth. I am thankful, so thankful for sisters and a brother who have stood by my side and been my loyal friends. I am grateful for my now family. I am so grateful for a husband who is loyal to me and faithful in everything. For standing by me and supporting me through very difficult moments. For sharing this life experience with me regardless of the test or lessons learned. I am thankful for the family that he brought with him. I thank a loving Heavenly Father for allowing me to have his precious children in my home. For allowing me a small taste of his joys and sorrows as a parent. I'm so grateful that my children are beautiful and healthy and free. I am thankful for country life in my youth. I am so thankful it taught me to work hard and live simply and to appreciate all of the Lord's beauty. I am so grateful for the time I have had to live in and see the busy east coast lifestyle.

Most importantly I am so grateful for Jesus Christ, my heavenly brother who suffered so I could be forgiven of things that would keep me from being with our Father in Heaven. I am thankful that he gave his life and took it up again, so should I die before I see 31 I will yet live again and be with my family the sealing power within the walls of his holy temples.

I look forward to another year of undeserved blessings and strength and pray the Lord blesses you with the same and the ability to see and feel all that you have also received.

Hydi

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

Happy Birthday! I had no idea you were expecting either! Congratulations! I'm happy you emailed me a link!

Hydi said...

I think you're more excited then we are!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday dear...and
Congratulations too...

Manasi